Wednesday 14 November 2012

NaNoWriMo - Half Way There

As I write this post I am feeling very happy. After a somewhat stilted and disjointed start to the month I managed to get my ass into gear and am now officially half way through my NaNoWriMo project. Hooray! Who knew I could magically find the time to write 25,011 words in just 14 days, complete with a demanding toddler in tow? Apparently I could, I did, and I am on track to succeed!

The novel is shaping up nicely, although my inner editor is already screaming that it is not good enough, we need to re-read what we have written, and we need to tear it to pieces and rebuild. Nope, not during November! This month is all about the writing. I am in my stride. I sit at the computer, stare at the screen, place my fingers on the keys and allow my Muse to take control. The demon editor can wait until after NaNoWriMo. I will not return to the manuscript until some time in December, once I have come down from the elation of succeeding at my second year of the challenge.


Oh yes, I will succeed! I am actually away this weekend for a short family holiday. Fortunately I can use it to my advantage. My very understanding husband and parents in-law have agreed that I may take my laptop and shut myself away in the library at the farm in which we are staying. I can indulge in some pure, uninterrupted writing time in a setting that promises to be both romantic, isolated and inspiring.

I will emerge from my writer's cave at some point during the weekend. I do intend to be sociable, to enjoy some long walks in the Yorkshire countryside with my family, and to enjoy a hearty meal or two. But always at the back of my mind will lurk the manuscript, the NaNoWriMo challenge, and my desperate need to succeed in the competition once again. It is a wonderful tool for motivation!

No comments:

Post a Comment